The Earl & Countess suite was formerly the private quarters of the 14th Earl and Countess of Lauderdale and most recently the castle nurseries. It has been restored into a three-bedroom apartment, perfect for small groups and families. Accessed by one of the castle’s grand sweeping staircases, its position on the second floor means there are spectacular views of the parkland from the large full height windows.
A dramatic colour scheme has been used throughout to compliment the statement items of furniture and paintings that have been borrowed from the castle collection.
The coral walls of the master bedroom highlight the vintage-style bed hanging while its luxurious ensuite is a calming shade of Wedgewood blue. The bold colours and intricate Schumacher ‘Chiang Mei Dragon’ fabric in the second bedroom offers a nod to the castle’s links with Asia – the 15th Countess’s father was J. J. Bell-Irving, a very successful Hong Kong banker and merchant. The high ceilings throughout the apartment enable a grand four poster bed to be used in the third bedroom.
The main reception room is an open-plan space dominated by a large gilt mirror. The chandelier casts a soft light over the portraits, one of which is by John Scougall, and the bespoke wallpaper panels featuring designs from an historic antique tapestry.
- Bedrooms: Three – One twin/super-king-size, two king-size. Hairdryers and bathrobes are provided in all bedrooms.
- Bathrooms: Three – Two bathrooms with showers over the baths and one shower room. All have underfloor heating.
- Kitchen/Dining: Fully-fitted kitchen includes integrated hob/oven, fridge/freezer, dishwasher and microwave. Dining table to seat six people.
- Also included: 100% Egyptian cotton bed linen, towels, tea towels, 50-inch free-view TV, Roberts digital radio, a selection of books and games, cleaning on departure, Wi-Fi, electricity, water and central heating.
- Children: We can provide high chairs and travel cots for younger guests. There is a playpark within the castle grounds – to the path to the left when departing The Courtyard.
- Dogs: We welcome dogs and provide dog biscuits and food bowls.
- Gardens: There is a garden area to the rear of the castle where a selection of garden games are available for guests.
- Walks: There are also woodland and riverside walks within the estate and the grounds are crossed by long-distance path The Southern Upland Way.
- EPC: D