Experience the luxury and live the history as we close the castle and its grounds to the public and offer it exclusively to you and your guests.
Our unrivalled accommodation offers guests the unique opportunity to stay in a castle. The luxury suites consist of eight double bedrooms, each with their own bathroom and several with adjoining private drawing rooms. Every room is finished to a five-star standard, uniquely decorated and features paintings and furnishings belonging to the castle collections. All guests will also enjoy exceptional views over the parkland and estate.
As well as having use of the Victorian Kitchen, with its vaulted ceiling and 19th-century range, guests are invited to dine in the dramatic portrait-lined State Dining Room. Our award-winning chefs will work with you to design your perfect menu, which can be paired with an extensive selection of wines available from the castle cellars. Upon request, Edward and Sarah Maitland-Carew are be available to host or give guided tours, if you would like to get a more personal insight into the castle’s history.
Our dedicated team can organise a range of experiences to make your stay even more special, including spa treatments, a bagpiper to pipe you into dinner, or for one of Scotland’s best musicians to entertain your guests. Perhaps you would like a traditional storyteller to regale the group with folk tales and legends of the Scottish Borders, or even a personal whisky tutorial and tasting with the director of the Border’s Distillery. Our outdoor activities are equally varied and include shooting, deer stalking, horse riding, archery, 4×4 excursions and clay pigeon shooting.
Every stay at Thirlestane Castle is created bespoke by our team. We look forward to working with you to design a very memorable stay.
- Bedrooms: Eight – Three twin/super-king-size, one super-king-size, four king-size. Hairdryers and bathrobes are provided in all bedrooms
- Bathrooms: Eight – Two have a shower only, four have a bath with shower over and two have a free-standing bath with separate shower.
- Also, included with each apartment: Fully-equipped kitchen, 100% Egyptian cotton bed linen, towels, tea towels, large free-view TVs, Roberts digital radios, a selection of books and games, cleaning on departure, Wi-Fi, electricity, water and central heating.
- Catering: Guests are welcome to self-cater and have use of the Victorian Kitchen and its servery which has a fully fitted kitchen. Alternatively, let us arrange for one of our award-winning caterers to come in and provide all your meals for you.
- Experiences: We can organise a number of experiences from spa treatments to food hampers, a bagpiper’s welcome to an exclusive tour of the Borders. See our Experiences page for more details.
- Children: We can provide high chairs and travel cots for younger guests. There is a playpark within the castle grounds – to the path to the left when departing The Courtyard.
- Dogs: We welcome dogs and provide dog biscuits and food bowls.
- Gardens: There is a garden area to the rear of the castle where a selection of garden games are available for guests.
- Walks: There are also woodland and riverside walks within the estate and the grounds are crossed by long-distance path The Southern Upland Way.