Formerly the sculleries for the main castle, this part of the South Wing has been beautifully transformed into a high-end one-bedroom apartment. Accessed from the mezzanine of the castle’s Cobbled Courtyard, guests look out over the castle gardens to the rear with double-height windows throughout. The traditional flagstone floor in the hallway is a reminder of the apartment’s past, as is the authentic mangle which has been repurposed into a beautiful hallstand.
The soft greens of the gardens outside have inspired the restoration of the space and link the bedroom with the natural beauty of its surroundings. The stunning sleigh bed and wardrobe were used by the Maitland family in their private rooms. Heavy, luxurious fabric frames the three tall windows as the room is flooded with dappled light from the nearby trees. Guests can enjoy the ultimate luxury in the extremely spacious bathroom and relax in the free-standing roll-top bath.
A warm and cosy feel is created in the sitting room with the deep coral walls and royal blue accents. As in the bedroom, a large portrait from the castle collection reflects the grandeur of the castle and brings a sense of history to the space. Guests are made to feel part of the Thirlestane family with several personal photos in the hallway showing the Maitland family competing in the show-jumping and eventing competitions at several Olympics.
Completed in early 2019, this newly-refurbished apartment offers a cosy retreat for those wishing to explore the Scottish Borders.
- Bedrooms: One - Super-king-size. A hairdryer and bathrobes are provided in the bedroom.
- Bathrooms: One – Free-standing roll-top bath and separate shower with underfloor heating.
- Kitchen/Dining: Fully-fitted kitchen includes integrated hob, fridge with ice box and microwave. Breakfast bar to seat two people.
- Experiences: We can organise a number of experiences from spa sessions to food hampers, a bagpiper’s welcome to an exclusive tour of the Borders. See our Experiences page for more details.
- Nearest Town: Lauder – 0.7 miles. A grocery shop, pubs and restaurant are all available within walking distance and further local information about local transport, points of interest and local attractions are provided in your accommodation.
- Dogs: We welcome dogs and provide water and food bowls.
- Children: We can provide high chairs and travel cots for younger guests. There is a playpark within the castle grounds directly opposite this apartment.
- Gardens: There is a garden area to the rear of the castle where a selection of garden games are available for guests. There are also woodland and riverside walks within the estate and the grounds are crossed by long-distance path The Southern Upland Way.
- Included: 100% Egyptian cotton bed linen, towels, tea towels, 50-inch free-view TV, Roberts digital radio, a selection of books and games, cleaning on departure, Wi-Fi, electricity, water and central heating.
- This apartment can be booking in conjunction with our other accommodation as part of a group booking. Other spaces throughout the castle are also available for use.