The friendly and flexible team at Thirlestane Castle prides itself on a warm welcome to group tours and we do our utmost to tailor tours to suit any group and requirements.
Our local, experienced and entertaining guides have a wealth of knowledge about the castle and really bring its fascinating history to life.
For larger groups or during busy periods, we can operate free flow tours. We also offer exclusive use of the castle to groups, by prior arrangement, when the castle is closed
Tour Highlights include:
- The splendour of the State Drawing Room
- Exquisite 17th century Dunsterfield gold-gilded plasterwork ceilings
- One of the most extensive family portrait collections in Scotland, representing the work of famous artists such as Romney, Reynolds, Lawrence and Lely
- The room where Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed
- The Duke’s Bedroom with a fine four poster bed
- The oak-panelled Library with its thick defensive walls
Allow up to an hour and a half to take in the ambience and learn the importance of one of the oldest and finest castles in the country.
The Castle offers groups:
- A friendly and flexible welcome for groups
- Specialist tours
- Bespoke catering and private dining
- Dedicated dining space for groups in the Victorian Kitchen
- Beautiful grounds for walks
- Exclusive use for groups on days the castle is closed
- Additional entertainment such as a jousting display can be arranged
- Refreshments for coach parties without entry to the castle (please pre-book)
- Special group rates
- Pretty picnic area and children’s playground
- Free coach and car parking
- Free entry and refreshments for coach driver and tour guide
A trip to Thirlestane Castle isn’t complete without some refreshments. Groups can either enjoy a drink, sandwich and irresistible treat in our cosy Tea Room or we have a dedicated dining space for groups in our rustic Victorian Kitchen. We can also arrange unique private dining experiences in one of our magnificent State Rooms.
Thirlestane is fantastically located at the gateway to the Highlands, less than 30 miles from both the centre of Edinburgh and the Cruise Terminal at Leith. It is a stone's throw from the pretty town of Lauder, known for its stylish shops and art gallery.
It is also surrounded by other fascinating properties in this exquisite part of southern Scotland and we can help organise joint itineraries with other historic house and castles in the region.
Please contact us for more details on this or if we can help you with anything else. Email email@example.com or give us a call on +44 1578 722430 for more information.
Standard Guided Tour:
£6.50pp - during open hours in season
Exclsuive Private Guided Tour
£13pp - when the castle is closed to the public
Available outside of normal opening hours between April and November by prior arrangement
Catering and activities at an additional cost.
For further details on what we offer, please download our Groups Brochure:
For a sample of the catering packages we can offer please download our Groups Menu below. We can also create a bespoke menu to suit your requirements and budget if you have something different in mind.