The friendly and flexible team at Thirlestane Castle prides itself on a warm welcome to group tours and we do our utmost to tailor tours to suit any group and requirements.
The local, experienced and entertaining guides have a wealth of knowledge about the Castle and bring the fascinating history to life.
Tour Highlights include:
- One of the most extensive family portrait collections in Scotland, representing the work of famous artists such as Romney, Reynolds, Lawrence and Lely
- Exquisite 17th century Dunsterfield gold-gilded plasterwork ceilings
- Fascinating historic toy collection
- The Duke’s Bedroom with a fine four poster bed
- The splendour of the State Drawing Room
- The room where Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed
- The oak-panelled Library with its thick defensive walls
Allow up to an hour and a half to take in the ambience and learn the importance of one of the oldest and finest castles in the country.
The Castle offers groups:
- A number of catering options which include the cosy Tea Room, the unique Old Kitchen or fine dining in the State Dining Room
- Beautiful grounds for walks
- Specialist tours
- Private group tours, by prior arrangement, when the Castle is closed.
- Translators for groups from overseas (please specify when booking)
- Refreshments in the Tea Room or Old Kitchen for coach parties without entry to the castle (please pre-book)
- Catering out-with standard opening times for a minimum of 20 people
- Easy access and parking for coaches
- Free entrance and refreshments for the coach driver
Thirlestane is fantastically located at the gateway to the Highlands, less than 30 miles from both the centre of Edinburgh an the Cruise Terminal at Leith. It is a stone's throw from the pretty town of Lauder, known for its stylish shops and art gallery.
It is also surrounded by other fascinating properties in this exquisite part of southern Scotland and we can help organise joint itineraries with other historic house and castles in the region.
If you are looking for a longer visit at Thirlestane Castle, we can organise a demonstration or activity such as jousting, archery, falconry or whisky tasting, to name just a few. Please contact us for more details on this or if we can help you with anything else. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call on +44 1578 722430 for more information.
Standard Guided Tour:
£6.50pp - during open hours in season
£13pp - at other times Apr-Nov by prior arrangement
Catering and activities at an additional cost.
For further details on what we offer, please download our Groups Brochure:
For a sample of the catering packages we can offer please download our Groups Menu below. We can also create a bespoke menu to suit your requirements and budget if you have something different in mind.